The First Pages Critique has become one of the conference’s best-loved sessions. Agents and editors are swamped with submissions. How can your writing get their attention? Send your first page to JRW and hear how some of the world’s most critical readers react to your writing.
The panel will include three or four speakers (agents, editors, or both) and a moderator. If chosen, your first page will be read aloud anonymously, and the panel will give on the spot feedback. Does your action start too early? Can the reader tell what genre or time period they’re in on page one? If you’re brave, you might be able to find out in real life.
Send six copies of the first page of your manuscript to:
First Pages Critique
James River Writers
2319 E. Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23223
Your submission must be postmarked by Friday, September 13, 2019.
- Include your name on the envelope in the return address only. Highlight the words, “First Pages Critique” on your envelope. No fee. One submission per attendee. Authors remain anonymous.
- Submissions will be pre-selected to ensure variety. They will not be returned, and authors will not be notified if their work will be read during the conference program.
- Please use Arial or Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, black ink, double spaced, 25 lines/page maximum. 8.5″ x 11 white paper. All margins should be at least one inch.
- Each submission should indicate the genre of the work in the upper right-hand corner of the page and the title centered. Do not include the author’s name.
- Do NOT send more than the first page.
- Do NOT enclose any correspondence or paperwork regarding other matters. If you have questions, complete a Contact Us form and we’ll get back to you promptly.
- Please do not include an SASE. Entries will not be returned.